鴨  寮

[ 首頁 ] [ 小說館 ] [ 特約作家區 ] [ 心理測驗 ] [ 談笑風生

[ 塔羅館 ] [ 星座館 ] [ 鴨的相簿 ] [ 鴨的二三事 ]

[ 留言版 ] [交換連結 ]

Act IV

第四幕


Act IV, Scene 1  Cyprus. Before the castle

第一場 塞浦路斯。城堡前


[Enter OTHELLO and IAGO]

Iago. Will you think so? 

    奧瑟羅及伊阿古上。 
伊阿古 您願意這樣想嗎? 


Othello. Think so, Iago!

奧瑟羅 這樣想,伊阿古! 


Iago. What, To kiss in private? 

伊阿古 什麼!背著人接吻? 


Othello. An unauthorized kiss. 

奧瑟羅 這樣的接吻是為禮法所不許的。 


Iago. Or to be naked with her friend in bed An hour or more, not meaning any harm? 

伊阿古 脫光了衣服,和她的朋友睡在一床,經過一個多小時,卻一點不起邪念? 


Othello. Naked in bed, Iago, and not mean harm! It is hypocrisy against the devil: They that mean virtuously, and yet do so, The devil their virtue tempts, and they tempt heaven. 

奧瑟羅 伊阿古,脫光衣服睡在床上,還會不起邪念!這明明是對魔鬼的假意矜持;他們的本心是規矩的,可偏是做出了這種勾當;魔鬼欺騙了這兩個規規矩矩的人,而他們就去欺騙上天。 


Iago. So they do nothing, 'tis a venial slip: But if I give my wife a handkerchief,— 

伊阿古 要是他們不及於亂,那還不過是一個小小的過失;可是假如我把一方手帕給了我的妻子—— 


Othello. What then? 

奧瑟羅 給了她便怎樣? 


Iago. Why, then, 'tis hers, my lord; and, being hers, She may, I think, bestow't on any man. 

伊阿古 啊,主帥,那時候它就是她的東西了!既然是她的東西,我想她可以把它送給無論什麼人的。 


Othello. She is protectress of her honour too: May she give that? 

奧瑟羅 她的貞操也是她自己的東西,她也可以把它送給無論什麼人嗎? 


Iago. Her honour is an essence that's not seen; They have it very oft that have it not: But, for the handkerchief,— 

伊阿古 她的貞操是一種不可捉摸的品質;世上有幾個真正貞潔的婦人?可是講到那方手帕—— 


Othello. By heaven, I would most gladly have forgot it. Thou said'st, it comes o'er my memory, As doth the raven o'er the infected house, Boding to all—he had my handkerchief. 

奧瑟羅 天哪,我但願忘記那句話!你說——啊!它籠罩著我的記憶,就像預兆不祥的烏鴉在染疫人家的屋頂上迴旋一樣——你說我的手帕在他的手裡。


Iago. Ay, what of that? 

伊阿古 是的,在他手裡便怎麼樣? 


Othello. That's not so good now. 

奧瑟羅 那可不大好。 


Iago. What, If I had said I had seen him do you wrong? Or heard him say,—as knaves be such abroad, Who having, by their own importunate suit, Or voluntary dotage of some mistress, Convinced or supplied them, cannot choose But they must blab— 

伊阿古 什麼!要是我說我看見他幹那對您不住的事?或是聽見他說——世上盡多那種傢伙,他們靠著死命的追求征服了一個女人,或者得到什麼情婦的自動的垂青,就禁不住到處向人吹噓—— 


Othello. Hath he said any thing? 

奧瑟羅 他說過什麼話嗎? 


Iago. He hath, my lord; but be you well assured, No more than he'll unswear. 

伊阿古 說過的,主帥;可是您放心吧,他說過的話,他都可以發誓否認的。 


Othello. What hath he said? 

奧瑟羅 他說過什麼? 


Iago. 'Faith, that he did—I know not what he did.  

伊阿古 他說,他曾經——我不知道他曾經幹些什麼事。 


Othello. What? what? 

奧瑟羅 什麼?什麼? 


Iago. Lie— 

伊阿古 跟她睡—— 


Othello. With her? 

奧瑟羅 在一床? 


Iago. With her, on her; what you will. 

伊阿古 睡在一床,睡在她的身上;隨您怎麼說吧。 


 Othello. Lie with her! lie on her! We say lie on her, when they belie her. Lie with her! that's fulsome. —Handkerchief—confessions—handkerchief!—To confess, and be hanged for his labour;—first, to be hanged, and then to confess.—I tremble at it. Nature would not invest herself in such shadowing passion without some instruction. It is not words that shake me thus. Pish! Noses, ears, and lips. —Is't possible?—Confess—handkerchief!—O devil!— 
[Falls in a trance]

奧瑟羅 跟她睡在一床!睡在她的身上!我們說睡在她身上,豈不是對她人身的污辱——睡在一床!該死,豈有此理!手帕——口供——手帕!叫他招供了,再把他吊死。先把他吊起來,然後叫他招供。我一想起就氣得發抖。人們總是有了某種感應,陰暗的情緒才會籠罩他的心靈;一兩句空洞的話是不能給我這樣大的震動的。呸!磨鼻子,咬耳朵,吮嘴唇。會有這樣的事嗎?口供!——手帕!——啊,魔鬼!(暈倒。) 


Iago. Work on, My medicine, work! Thus credulous fools are caught; And many worthy and chaste dames even thus, All guiltless, meet reproach. What, ho! my lord! My lord, I say! Othello!
[Enter CASSIO]
How now, Cassio! 

伊阿古 顯出你的效力來吧,我的妙藥,顯出你的效力來吧!輕信的愚人是這樣落進了圈套;許多貞潔賢淑的娘兒們,都是這樣蒙上了不白之冤。喂,主帥!主帥!奧瑟羅!凱西奧上。 

伊阿古 啊,凱西奧! 


Cassio. What's the matter? 

凱西奧 怎麼一回事? 


Iago. My lord is fall'n into an epilepsy: This is his second fit; he had one yesterday. 

伊阿古 咱們大帥發起癲癇來了。這是他第二次發作;昨天他也發過一次。


Cassio. Rub him about the temples. 

凱西奧 在他太陽穴上摩擦摩擦。 


Iago. No, forbear; The lethargy must have his quiet course: If not, he foams at mouth and by and by Breaks out to savage madness. Look he stirs: Do you withdraw yourself a little while, He will recover straight: when he is gone, I would on great occasion speak with you.
[Exit CASSIO] 
How is it, general? have you not hurt your head? 

伊阿古 不,不行;他這種昏迷狀態,必須保持安靜!要不然的話,他就要嘴裡冒出白沫,慢慢地會發起瘋狂來的。瞧!他在動了。你暫時走開一下,他就會恢復原狀的。等他走了以後,我還有要緊的話跟你說。(凱西奧下)怎麼啦,主帥?您沒有摔痛您的頭吧? 


Othello. Dost thou mock me? 

奧瑟羅 你在譏笑我嗎? 


Iago. I mock you! no, by heaven. Would you would bear your fortune like a man! 

伊阿古 我譏笑您!不,沒有這樣的事!我願您像一個大丈夫似的忍受命運的播弄。 


Othello. A horned man's a monster and a beast. 

奧瑟羅 頂上了綠頭巾,還算一個人嗎? 


Iago. There's many a beast then in a populous city, And many a civil monster. 

伊阿古 在一座熱鬧的城市裡,這種不算人的人多著呢。 


Othello. Did he confess it? 

奧瑟羅 他自己公然承認了嗎? 


Iago. Good sir, be a man; Think every bearded fellow that's but yoked May draw with you: there's millions now alive That nightly lie in those unproper beds Which they dare swear peculiar: your case is better. O, 'tis the spite of hell, the fiend's arch-mock, To lip a wanton in a secure couch, And to suppose her chaste! No, let me know; And knowing what I am, I know what she shall be. 

伊阿古 主帥,您看破一點吧;您只要想一想,哪一個有家室的鬚眉男子,沒有遭到跟您同樣命運的可能;世上不知有多少男人,他們的臥榻上容留過無數素昧生平的人,他們自己還滿以為這是一塊私人的禁地哩;您的情形還不算頂壞。啊!這是最刻毒的惡作劇,魔鬼的最大的玩笑,讓一個男人安安心心地摟著枕邊的蕩婦親嘴,還以為她是一個三貞九烈的女人!不,我要睜開眼來,先看清自己成了個什麼東西,我也就看準了該拿她怎麼辦。 


Othello. O, thou art wise; 'tis certain. 

奧瑟羅 啊!你是個聰明人;你說得一點不錯。 


Iago. Stand you awhile apart; Confine yourself but in a patient list. Whilst you were here o'erwhelmed with your grief— A passion most unsuiting such a man—Cassio came hither: I shifted him away, And laid good 'scuse upon your ecstasy, Bade him anon return and here speak with me; The which he promised. Do but encave yourself, And mark the fleers, the gibes, and notable scorns, That dwell in every region of his face; For I will make him tell the tale anew, Where, how, how oft, how long ago, and when He hath, and is again to cope your wife: I say, but mark his gesture. Marry, patience; Or I shall say you are all in all in spleen, And nothing of a man. 

伊阿古 現在請您暫時站在一旁,竭力耐住您的怒氣。剛才您惱得昏過去的時候——大人物怎麼能這樣感情衝動啊——凱西奧曾經到這兒來過;我推說您不省人事是因為一時不舒服,把他打發走了,叫他過一會兒再來跟我談談;他已經答應我了。您只要找一處所在躲一躲,就可以看見他滿臉得意忘形,冷嘲熱諷的神氣;因為我要叫他從頭敘述他歷次跟尊夫人相會的情形,還要問他重溫好夢的時間和地點。您留心看看他那副表情吧。可是不要氣惱;否則我就要說您一味意氣用事,一點沒有大丈夫的氣概啦。 


Othello. Dost thou hear, Iago? I will be found most cunning in my patience; But—dost thou hear?—most bloody. 

奧瑟羅 告訴你吧,伊阿古,我會很巧妙地不動聲色;可是,你聽著,我也會包藏一顆最可怕的殺心。 


Iago. That's not amiss; But yet keep time in all. Will you withdraw?
[OTHELLO retires] 
Now will I question Cassio of Bianca, A housewife that by selling her desires Buys herself bread and clothes: it is a creature That dotes on Cassio; as 'tis the strumpet's plague To beguile many and be beguiled by one: He, when he hears of her, cannot refrain From the excess of laughter. Here he comes:
[Re-enter CASSIO]
As he shall smile, Othello shall go mad; And his unbookish jealousy must construe Poor Cassio's smiles, gestures and light behavior, Quite in the wrong. How do you now, lieutenant? 

伊阿古 那很好;可是什麼事都要看準時機。您走遠一步吧。(奧瑟羅退後)現在我要向凱西奧談起比恩卡,一個靠著出賣風情維持生活的雌兒;她熱戀著凱西奧;這也是娼妓們的報應,往往她們迷惑了多少的男子,結果卻被一個男人迷昏了心。他一聽見她的名字,就會忍不住捧腹大笑。他來了。 
     凱西奧重上。 

伊阿古 他一笑起來,奧瑟羅就會發瘋;可憐的凱西奧的嬉笑的神情和輕狂的舉止,在他那充滿著無知的嫉妒的心頭,一定可以引起嚴重的誤會。——您好,副將? 


Cassio. The worser that you give me the addition Whose want even kills me. 

凱西奧 我因為丟掉了這個頭銜,正在懊惱得要死,你卻還要這樣稱呼我。 


Iago. Ply Desdemona well, and you are sure on't. 
[Speaking lower]
Now, if this suit lay in Bianco's power, How quickly should you speed! 

伊阿古 在苔絲狄蒙娜跟前多說幾句央求的話,包你原官起用。(低聲)要是這件事情換在比恩卡手裡,早就不成問題了。 


Cassio. Alas, poor caitiff! 

凱西奧 唉,可憐蟲! 


Othello. Look, how he laughs already! 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)瞧!他已經在笑起來啦! 


Iago. I never knew woman love man so. 

伊阿古 我從來不知道一個女人會這樣愛一個男人。 


Cassio. Alas, poor rogue! I think, i' faith, she loves me. 

凱西奧 唉,小東西!我看她倒是真的愛我。 


Othello. Now he denies it faintly, and laughs it out. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)現在他在含糊否認,想把這事情用一笑搪塞過去。 


Iago. Do you hear, Cassio? 

伊阿古 你聽見嗎,凱西奧? 


Othello. Now he importunes him To tell it o'er: go to; well said, well said. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)現在他纏住他要他講一講經過情形啦。說下去;很好,很好。 


Iago. She gives it out that you shall marry hey: Do you intend it? 

伊阿古 她向人家說你將要跟她結婚;你有這個意思嗎? 


Cassio. Ha, ha, ha! 

凱西奧 哈哈哈! 


Othello. Do you triumph, Roman? do you triumph? 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)你這樣得意嗎,好傢伙?你這樣得意嗎? 


Cassio. I marry her! what? a customer! Prithee, bear some charity to my wit: do not think it so unwholesome. Ha, ha, ha! 

凱西奧 我跟她結婚!什麼?一個賣淫婦?對不起,你不要這樣看輕我,我還不至於糊塗到這等地步哩。哈哈哈! 


Othello. So, so, so, so: they laugh that win. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)好,好,好,好。得勝的人才會笑逐顏開。 


Iago. 'Faith, the cry goes that you shall marry her. 

伊阿古 不騙你,人家都在說你將要跟她結婚。 


Cassio. Prithee, say true. 

凱西奧 對不起,別說笑話啦。 


Iago. I am a very villain else. 

伊阿古 我要是騙了你,我就是個大大的混蛋。 


Othello. Have you scored me? Well. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)你這算是一報還一報嗎?好。


Cassio. This is the monkey's own giving out: she is persuaded I will marry her, out of her own love and flattery, not out of my promise. 

凱西奧 一派胡說!她自己一廂情願,相信我會跟她結婚;我可沒有答應她。 


Othello. Iago beckons me; now he begins the story. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)伊阿古在向我打招呼;現在他開始講他的故事啦。 


Cassio. She was here even now; she haunts me in every place. I was the other day talking on the sea-bank with certain Venetians; and thither comes the bauble, and, by this hand, she falls me thus about my neck— 

凱西奧 她剛才還在這兒;她到處纏著我。前天我正在海邊跟幾個威尼斯人談話,那傻東西就來啦;不瞞你說,她這樣攀住我的頸項—— 


Othello. Crying 'O dear Cassio!' as it were: his gesture imports it. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)叫一聲「啊,親愛的凱西奧!」我可以從他的表情之間猜得出來。 


Cassio. So hangs, and lolls, and weeps upon me; so hales, and pulls me: ha, ha, ha! 

凱西奧 她這樣拉住我的衣服,靠在我的懷裡,哭個不停,還這樣把我拖來拖去,哈哈哈! 


Othello. Now he tells how she plucked him to my chamber. O, I see that nose of yours, but not that dog I shall throw it to. 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)現在他在講她怎樣把他拖到我的寢室裡去啦。啊!我看見你的鼻子,可是不知道應該把它丟給哪一條狗吃。 


Cassio. Well, I must leave her company. 

凱西奧 好,我只好離開她。 


Iago. Before me! look, where she comes. 

伊阿古 啊!瞧,她來了。 


Cassio. 'Tis such another fitchew! marry a perfumed one.
[Enter BIANCA]
What do you mean by this haunting of me? 

凱西奧 好一頭抹香粉的臭貓! 
     比恩卡上。 

凱西奧 你這樣到處釘著我不放,是什麼意思呀? 


Bianca. Let the devil and his dam haunt you! What did you mean by that same handkerchief you gave me even now? I was a fine fool to take it. I must take out the work?—A likely piece of work, that you should find it in your chamber, and not know who left it there! This is some minx's token, and I must take out the work? There; give it your hobby-horse: wheresoever you had it, I'll take out no work on't. 

比恩卡 讓魔鬼跟他的老娘釘著你吧!你剛才給我的那方手帕算是什麼意思?我是個大傻瓜,才會把它受了下來。叫我描下那花樣!好看的花手帕可真多哪,居然讓你在你的寢室裡找到它,卻不知道誰把它丟在那邊!這一定是哪一個賤丫頭送給你的東西,卻叫我描下它的花樣來!拿去,還給你那個相好吧;隨你從什麼地方得到這方手帕,我可不高興描下它的花樣。 


Cassio. How now, my sweet Bianca! how now! how now! 

凱西奧 怎麼,我的親愛的比恩卡!怎麼!怎麼! 


Othello. By heaven, that should be my handkerchief! 

奧瑟羅 (旁白)天哪,那該是我的手帕哩! 


Bianca. An you'll come to supper to-night, you may; an you will not, come when you are next prepared for. 
[Exit]

比恩卡 今天晚上你要是願意來吃飯,儘管來吧;要是不願意來,等你下回有興致的時候再來吧。(下。) 


Iago. After her, after her. 

伊阿古 追上去,追上去。 


Cassio. 'Faith, I must; she'll rail in the street else. 

凱西奧 真的,我必須追上去,否則她會沿街謾罵的。 


Iago. Will you sup there? 

伊阿古 你預備到她家裡去吃飯嗎? 


Cassio. 'Faith, I intend so. 

凱西奧 是的,我想去。 


Iago. Well, I may chance to see you; for I would very fain speak with you. 

伊阿古 好,也許我會再碰見你;因為我很想跟你談談。 


Cassio. Prithee, come; will you? 

凱西奧 請你一定來吧。 


Iago. Go to; say no more. 
[Exit CASSIO]

伊阿古 得啦,別多說啦。(凱西奧下。) 


Othello. [Advancing] How shall I murder him, Iago? 

奧瑟羅 (趨前)伊阿古,我應該怎樣殺死他? 


Iago. Did you perceive how he laughed at his vice? 

伊阿古 您看見他一聽到人家提起他的醜事,就笑得多麼高興嗎? 


Othello. O Iago! 

奧瑟羅 啊,伊阿古! 


Iago. And did you see the handkerchief? 

伊阿古 您還看見那方手帕嗎? 


Othello. Was that mine? 

奧瑟羅 那就是我的嗎? 


Iago. Yours by this hand: and to see how he prizes the foolish woman your wife! she gave it him, and he hath given it his whore. 

伊阿古 我可以舉手起誓,那是您的。瞧他多麼看得起您那位癡心的太太!她把手帕送給他,他卻拿去給了他的娼婦。 


Othello. I would have him nine years a-killing. A fine woman! a fair woman! a sweet woman! 

奧瑟羅 我要用九年的時間慢慢地磨死她。一個高雅的女人!一個美貌的女人!一個溫柔的女人! 


Iago. Nay, you must forget that. 

伊阿古 不,您必須忘掉那些。 


Othello. Ay, let her rot, and perish, and be damned to-night; for she shall not live: no, my heart is turned to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand. O, the world hath not a sweeter creature: she might lie by an emperor's side and command him tasks. 

奧瑟羅 嗯,讓她今夜腐爛、死亡、墮入地獄吧,因為她不能再活在世上。不,我的心已經變成鐵石了;我打它,反而打痛了我的手。啊!世上沒有一個比她更可愛的東西;她可以睡在一個皇帝的身邊,命令他干無論什麼事。 


Iago. Nay, that's not your way. 

伊阿古 您素來不是這個樣子的。 


Othello. Hang her! I do but say what she is: so delicate with her needle: an admirable musician: O! she will sing the savageness out of a bear: of so high and plenteous wit and invention:— 

奧瑟羅 讓她死吧!我不過說她是怎麼樣的一個人。她的針線活兒是這樣精妙!一個出色的音樂家!啊,她唱起歌來,可以馴服一頭野熊的心!她的心思才智,又是這樣敏慧多能! 


Iago. She's the worse for all this. 

伊阿古 唯其這樣多才多藝,幹出這種醜事來,才格外叫人氣惱。 


Othello. O, a thousand thousand times: and then, of so gentle a condition! 

奧瑟羅 啊!一千倍、一千倍的可惱!而且她的性格又是這樣溫柔! 


Iago. Ay, too gentle. 

伊阿古 嗯,太溫柔了。 


Othello. Nay, that's certain: but yet the pity of it, Iago! O Iago, the pity of it, Iago! 

奧瑟羅 對啦,一點不錯。可是,伊阿古,可惜!啊!伊阿古!伊阿古!太可惜啦! 


Iago. If you are so fond over her iniquity, give her patent to offend; for, if it touch not you, it comes near nobody. 

伊阿古 要是您對於一個失節之婦,還是這樣戀戀不捨,那麼索性採取放任吧;因為既然您自己也不以為意,當然更不干別人的事。 


Othello. I will chop her into messes: cuckold me! 

奧瑟羅 我要把她剁成一堆肉醬。叫我當一個忘八! 


Iago. O, 'tis foul in her. 

伊阿古 啊,她太不顧羞恥啦! 


Othello. With mine officer! 

奧瑟羅 跟我的部將通姦! 


Iago. That's fouler. 

伊阿古 那尤其可惡。 


Othello. Get me some poison, Iago; this night: I'll not expostulate with her, lest her body and beauty unprovide my mind again: this night, Iago.

奧瑟羅 給我弄些毒藥來,伊阿古;今天晚上。我不想跟她多費唇舌,免得她的肉體和美貌再打動了我的心。今天晚上,伊阿古。 


Iago. Do it not with poison, strangle her in her bed, even the bed she hath contaminated. 

伊阿古 不要用毒藥,在她床上扼死她,就在那被她玷污了的床上。 


Othello. Good, good: the justice of it pleases: very good. 

奧瑟羅 好,好;那是一個大快人心的處置,很好。 


Iago. And for Cassio, let me be his undertaker: you shall hear more by midnight. 

伊阿古 至於凱西奧,讓我去取他的命吧;您在午夜前後,一定可以聽到消息。 


Othello. Excellent good.
[A trumpet within]
What trumpet is that same? 

奧瑟羅 好極了。(內喇叭聲)那是什麼喇叭的聲音? 


Iago. Something from Venice, sure. 'Tis Lodovico Come from the duke: and, see, your wife is with him. 

[Enter LODOVICO, DESDEMONA, and Attendants]

伊阿古 一定是從威尼斯來了什麼人。——是羅多維科奉公爵之命到這兒來了;瞧,您那位太太也跟他在一起。 
     羅多維科、苔絲狄蒙娜及侍從等上。 


Lodovico. Save you, worthy general! 

羅多維科 上帝保佑您,尊貴的將軍! 


Othello. With all my heart, sir. 

奧瑟羅 祝福您,大人。 


Lodovico. The duke and senators of Venice greet you. 
[Gives him a letter]

羅多維科 公爵和威尼斯的元老們問候您安好。(以信交奧瑟羅。) 


Othello. I kiss the instrument of their pleasures. 
[Opens the letter, and reads]

奧瑟羅 我敬吻他們的恩命。(拆信閱讀。) 


Desdemona. And what's the news, good cousin Lodovico? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 羅多維科大哥,威尼斯有什麼消息? 


Iago. I am very glad to see you, signior Welcome to Cyprus. 

伊阿古 我很高興看見您,大人;歡迎您到塞浦路斯來! 


Lodovico. I thank you. How does Lieutenant Cassio? 

羅多維科 謝謝。凱西奧副將好嗎? 


Iago. Lives, sir. 

伊阿古 他還健在,大人。 


Desdemona. Cousin, there's fall'n between him and my lord An unkind breach: but you shall make all well. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 大哥,他跟我的丈夫鬧了點兒彆扭;可是您可以使他們言歸於好。 


Othello. Are you sure of that? 

奧瑟羅 你有把握嗎? 


Desdemona. My lord? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您怎麼說,我的主? 


Othello. [Reads] 'This fail you not to do, as you will—' 

奧瑟羅 (讀信)「務必照辦為要,不得有誤。——」 


Lodovico. He did not call; he's busy in the paper. Is there division 'twixt my lord and Cassio? 

羅多維科 他沒有回答;他正在忙著讀信。將軍跟凱西奧果然有了意見嗎? 


Desdemona. A most unhappy one: I would do much To atone them, for the love I bear to Cassio. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 有了很不幸的意見;為了我對凱西奧所抱的好感,我很願意盡力調解他們。 


Othello. Fire and brimstone! 

奧瑟羅 該死! 


Desdemona. My lord? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您怎麼說,我的主? 


Othello. Are you wise? 

奧瑟羅 你聰明嗎? 


Desdemona. What, is he angry? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 什麼!他生氣了嗎? 


Lodovico. May be the letter moved him; For, as I think, they do command him home, Deputing Cassio in his government. 

羅多維科 也許這封信激動了他;因為照我猜想起來,他們是要召他回國,叫凱西奧代理他的職務。 


Desdemona. Trust me, I am glad on't. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 真的嗎?那好極了。 


Othello. Indeed! 

奧瑟羅 當真! 


Desdemona. My lord? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您怎麼說,我的主? 


Othello. I am glad to see you mad. 

奧瑟羅 你要是發了瘋,我才高興。


Desdemona. Why, sweet Othello,— 

苔絲狄蒙娜 為什麼,親愛的奧瑟羅? 


Othello. [Striking her] Devil! 

奧瑟羅 魔鬼!(擊苔絲狄蒙娜。) 


Desdemona. I have not deserved this. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我沒有錯處,您不該這樣對待我。 


Lodovico. My lord, this would not be believed in Venice, Though I should swear I saw't: 'tis very much: Make her amends; she weeps. 

羅多維科 將軍,我要是把這回事情告訴威尼斯人,即使發誓說我親眼看見,他們也一定不會相信我。這太過分了;向她賠罪吧,她在哭了。


Othello. O devil, devil! If that the earth could teem with woman's tears, Each drop she falls would prove a crocodile. Out of my sight! 

奧瑟羅 啊,魔鬼!魔鬼!要是婦人的眼淚有孳生化育的力量,她的每一滴淚,掉在地上,都會變成一條鱷魚。走開,不要讓我看見你! 


Desdemona. I will not stay to offend you. 
[Going]

苔絲狄蒙娜 我不願留在這兒害您生氣。(欲去。) 


Lodovico. Truly, an obedient lady: I do beseech your lordship, call her back. 

羅多維科 真是一位順從的夫人。將軍,請您叫她回來吧。 


Othello. Mistress! 

奧瑟羅 夫人! 


Desdemona. My lord? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我的主? 


Othello. What would you with her, sir? 

奧瑟羅 大人,您要跟她說些什麼話? 


Lodovico. Who, I, my lord? 

羅多維科 誰?我嗎,將軍? 


Othello. Ay; you did wish that I would make her turn: Sir, she can turn, and turn, and yet go on, And turn again; and she can weep, sir, weep; And she's obedient, as you say, obedient, Very obedient. Proceed you in your tears. Concerning this, sir,—O well-painted passion!— I am commanded home. Get you away; I'll send for you anon. Sir, I obey the mandate, And will return to Venice. Hence, avaunt! 
[Exit DESDEMONA]

Cassio shall have my place. And, sir, tonight, I do entreat that we may sup together: You are welcome, sir, to Cyprus.—Goats and monkeys!
[Exit]

奧瑟羅 嗯,您要我叫她轉來,現在她轉過來了。她會轉來轉去,走一步路回一個身;她還會哭,大人,她還會哭;她是非常順從的,正像您所說,非常順從。儘管流你的眼淚吧。大人,這信上的意思——好一股裝腔作勢的勁兒!——是要叫我回去——你去吧,等會兒我再叫人來喚你——大人,我服從他們的命令,不日就可以束裝上路,回到威尼斯去——去!滾開!(苔絲狄蒙娜下)凱西奧可以接替我的位置。今天晚上,大人,我還要請您賞光便飯。歡迎您到塞浦路斯來!——山羊和猴子!(下。) 


Lodovico. Is this the noble Moor whom our full senate Call all in all sufficient? Is this the nature Whom passion could not shake? whose solid virtue The shot of accident, nor dart of chance, Could neither graze nor pierce? 

羅多維科 這就是為我們整個元老院所同聲讚歎、稱為全才全德的那位英勇的摩爾人嗎?這就是那喜怒之情不能把它震撼的高貴的天性嗎?那命運的箭矢不能把它擦傷穿破的堅定的德操嗎? 


Iago. He is much changed. 

伊阿古 他已經大大變了樣子啦。 


Lodovico. Are his wits safe? is he not light of brain? 

羅多維科 他的頭腦沒有毛病嗎?他的神經是不是有點錯亂?


Iago. He's that he is: I may not breathe my censure What he might be: if what he might he is not, I would to heaven he were! 

伊阿古 他就是他那個樣子;我實在不敢說他還會變成怎麼一個樣子;如果他不是像他所應該的那樣,那麼但願他也不至於這個樣子! 


Lodovico. What, strike his wife! 

羅多維科 什麼!打他的妻子! 


Iago. 'Faith, that was not so well; yet would I knew That stroke would prove the worst! 

伊阿古 真的,那可不大好;可是我但願知道他對她沒有比這更暴虐的行為! 


Lodovico. Is it his use? Or did the letters work upon his blood, And new-create this fault? 

羅多維科 他一向都是這樣的嗎?還是因為信上的話激怒了他,才會有這種以前所沒有的過失? 


Iago. Alas, alas! It is not honesty in me to speak What I have seen and known. You shall observe him, And his own courses will denote him so
That I may save my speech: do but go after, And mark how he continues. 

伊阿古 唉!唉!按著我的地位,我實在不便把我所看見所知道的一切說出口來。您不妨留心注意他,他自己的行動就可以說明一切,用不著我多說了。請您跟上去,看他還會做出什麼花樣來。 


Lodovico. I am sorry that I am deceived in him. 
[Exeunt] 

羅多維科 他竟是這樣一個人,真使我大失所望啊。(同下。)


[ 第三幕第四場 ] [ 第四幕第二場 ]