鴨  寮

[ 首頁 ] [ 小說館 ] [ 特約作家區 ] [ 心理測驗 ] [ 談笑風生

[ 塔羅館 ] [ 星座館 ] [ 鴨的相簿 ] [ 鴨的二三事 ]

[ 留言版 ] [交換連結 ]

Act III, Scene 4  Before the castle.

第四場 城堡前


[Enter DESDEMONA, EMILIA, and Clown]
Desdemona. Do you know, sirrah, where Lieutenant Cassio lies? 

苔絲狄蒙娜、愛米利婭及小丑上。 
苔絲狄蒙娜 喂,你知道凱西奧副將的家在什麼地方嗎?


Clown. I dare not say he lies any where.

小丑 我可不敢說他有「家」。 


Desdemona. Why, man? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 為什麼,好人兒? 


Clown. He's a soldier, and for one to say a soldier lies, is stabbing. 

小丑 他是個軍人,要是說軍人心中有「假」,那可是性命出入的事兒。 


Desdemona. Go to: where lodges he? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 好吧,那麼他住在什麼地方呢?


Clown. To tell you where he lodges, is to tell you where I lie.

小丑 告訴您他住在什麼地方,就是告訴您我在撒謊。 


Desdemona. Can any thing be made of this? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 那是什麼意思? 


Clown. I know not where he lodges, and for me to devise a lodging and say he lies here or he lies there, were to lie in mine own throat. 

小丑 我不知道他住在什麼地方;要是胡亂想出一個地方來,說他「家」住在這兒,「家」住在那兒,那就是我存心說「假」話了。 


Desdemona. Can you inquire him out, and be edified by report?

苔絲狄蒙娜 你可以打聽打聽他在什麼地方呀。


Clown. I will catechise the world for him; that is, make questions, and by them answer. 

小丑 好,我就去到處向人家打聽——那是說,去盤問人家,看他們怎麼回答我。 


Desdemona. Seek him, bid him come hither: tell him I have moved my lord on his behalf, and hope all will be well. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 找到了他,你就叫他到這兒來;對他說我已經替他在將軍面前說過情了,大概可以得到圓滿的結果。 


Clown. To do this is within the compass of man's wit: and therefore I will attempt the doing it. 
[Exit]

小丑 幹這件事是一個人的智力所能及的,所以我願意去幹一下。(下。) 


Desdemona. Where should I lose that handkerchief, Emilia? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我究竟在什麼地方掉了那方手帕呢,愛米利婭? 


Emilia. I know not, madam. 

愛米利婭 我不知道,夫人。 


Desdemona. Believe me, I had rather have lost my purse Full of crusadoes: and, but my noble Moor Is true of mind and made of no such baseness As jealous creatures are, it were enough To put him to ill thinking. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 相信我,我寧願失去我的一滿袋金幣;倘然我的摩爾人不是這樣一個光明磊落的漢子,倘然他也像那些多疑善妒的卑鄙男人一樣,這是很可以引起他的疑心的。 


Emilia. Is he not jealous? 

愛米利婭 他不會嫉妒嗎? 


Desdemona. Who, he? I think the sun where he was born Drew all such humours from him. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 誰!他?我想在他生長的地方,那灼熱的陽光已經把這種氣質完全從他身上吸去了。 


Emilia. Look, where he comes. 

愛米利婭 瞧!他來了。 


Desdemona. I will not leave him now till Cassio Be call'd to him. 
[Enter OTHELLO]
How is't with you, my lord

苔絲狄蒙娜 我在他沒有把凱西奧叫到他跟前來以前,決不離開他一步。 
     奧瑟羅上。 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您好嗎,我的主? 


Othello. Well, my good lady.
[Aside]
O, hardness to dissemble!—How do you, Desdemona? 

奧瑟羅 好,我的好夫人。(旁白)啊,裝假臉真不容易!——你好,苔絲狄蒙娜? 


Desdemona. Well, my good lord. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我好,我的好夫君。 


Othello. Give me your hand: this hand is moist, my lady. 

奧瑟羅 把你的手給我。這手很潮潤呢,我的夫人。 


Desdemona. It yet hath felt no age nor known no sorrow. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 它還沒有感到老年的侵襲,也沒有受過憂傷的損害。 


Othello. This argues fruitfulness and liberal heart: Hot, hot, and moist: this hand of yours requires A sequester from liberty, fasting and prayer,
Much castigation, exercise devout; For here's a young and sweating devil here, That commonly rebels. 'Tis a good hand, A frank one. 

奧瑟羅 這一隻手表明它的主人是胸襟寬大而心腸慷慨的;這麼熱,這麼潮。奉勸夫人努力克制邪心,常常齋戒禱告,反躬自責,禮拜神明,因為這兒有一個年少風流的魔鬼,慣會在人們血液裡搗亂。這是一隻好手,一隻很慷慨的手。


Desdemona. You may, indeed, say so; For 'twas that hand that gave away my heart. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您真的可以這樣說,因為就是這一隻手把我的心獻給您的。 


Othello. A liberal hand: the hearts of old gave hands; But our new heraldry is hands, not hearts. 

奧瑟羅 一隻慷慨的手。從前的姑娘把手給人,同時把心也一起給了他;現在時世變了,得到一位姑娘的手的,不一定能夠得到她的心。


Desdemona. I cannot speak of this. Come now, your promise. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 這種話我不會說。來,您答應我的事怎麼樣啦? 


Othello. What promise, chuck? 

奧瑟羅 我答應你什麼,乖乖? 


Desdemona. I have sent to bid Cassio come speak with you. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我已經叫人去請凱西奧來跟您談談了。 


Othello. I have a salt and sorry rheum offends me; Lend me thy handkerchief. 

奧瑟羅 我的眼睛有些脹痛,老是淌著眼淚。把你的手帕借給我一用。


Desdemona. Here, my lord. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 這兒,我的主。 


Othello. That which I gave you. 

奧瑟羅 我給你的那一方呢? 


Desdemona. I have it not about me. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我沒有帶在身邊。 


Othello. Not? 

奧瑟羅 沒有帶? 


Desdemona. No, indeed, my lord. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 真的沒有帶,我的主。 


Othello. That is a fault. That handkerchief Did an Egyptian to my mother give; She was a charmer, and could almost read The thoughts of people: she told her, while she kept it, 'Twould make her amiable and subdue my father Entirely to her love, but if she lost it Or made gift of it, my father's eye Should hold her loathed and his spirits should hunt After new fancies: she, dying, gave it me; And bid me, when my fate would have me wive, To give it her. I did so: and take heed on't; Make it a darling like your precious eye; To lose't or give't away were such perdition As nothing else could match. 

奧瑟羅 那你可錯了。那方手帕是一個埃及女人送給我的母親的;她是一個能夠洞察人心的女巫,她對我的母親說,當她保存著這方手帕的時候,它可以使她得到我的父親的歡心,享受專房的愛寵,可是她要是失去了它,或是把它送給旁人,我的父親就要對她發生憎厭,他的心就要另覓新歡了。她在臨死的時候把它傳給我,叫我有了妻子以後,就把它交給新婦。我遵照她的吩咐給了你,所以你必須格外小心,珍惜它像珍惜你自己寶貴的眼睛一樣;萬一失去了,或是送給別人,那就難免遭到一場無比的災禍。 


Desdemona. Is't possible? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 真會有這種事嗎? 


Othello. 'Tis true: there's magic in the web of it: A sibyl, that had number'd in the world The sun to course two hundred compasses, In her prophetic fury sew'd the work; The worms were hallow'd that did breed the silk; And it was dyed in mummy which the skilful Conserved of maidens' hearts. 

奧瑟羅 真的,這一方小小的手帕,卻有神奇的魔力織在裡面;它是一個二百歲的神巫在一陣心血來潮的時候縫就的;它那一縷縷的絲線,也不是世間的凡蠶所吐;織成以後,它曾經在用處女的心煉成的丹液裡浸過。 


Desdemona. Indeed! is't true? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 當真!這是真的嗎? 


Othello. Most veritable; therefore look to't well. 

奧瑟羅 絕對的真實!所以留心藏好它吧。 


Desdemona. Then would to God that I had never seen't! 

苔絲狄蒙娜 上帝啊,但願我從來沒有見過它! 


Othello. Ha! wherefore? 

奧瑟羅 嘿!為什麼? 


Desdemona. Why do you speak so startingly and rash? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 您為什麼說得這樣暴躁? 


Othello. Is't lost? is't gone? speak, is it out o' the way? 

奧瑟羅 它已經失去了嗎?不見了嗎?說,它是不是已經丟了? 


Desdemona. Heaven bless us! 

苔絲狄蒙娜 上天祝福我們! 


Othello. Say you? 

奧瑟羅 你說。 


Desdemona. It is not lost; but what an if it were? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 它沒有失去;可是要是失去了,那可怎麼辦呢? 


Othello. How! 

奧瑟羅 怎麼! 


Desdemona. I say, it is not lost. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我說它沒有失去。 


Othello. Fetch't, let me see't. 

奧瑟羅 去把它拿來給我看。


Desdemona. Why, so I can, sir, but I will not now. This is a trick to put me from my suit: Pray you, let Cassio be received again. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我可以去把它拿來,可是現在我不高興。這是一個詭計,要想把我的要求賴了過去。請您把凱西奧重新錄用了吧。 


Othello. Fetch me the handkerchief: my mind misgives. 

奧瑟羅 給我把那手帕拿來。我在起疑心了。 


Desdemona. Come, come; You'll never meet a more sufficient man. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 得啦,得啦,您再也找不到一個比他更能幹的人。 


Othello. The handkerchief! 

奧瑟羅 手帕! 


Desdemona. I pray, talk me of Cassio. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 請您還是跟我談談凱西奧的事情吧。 


Othello. The handkerchief! 

奧瑟羅 手帕! 


Desdemona. A man that all his time Hath founded his good fortunes on your love, Shared dangers with you,— 

苔絲狄蒙娜 他一向把自己的前途寄托在您的眷愛上,又跟著您同甘共苦,歷盡艱辛—— 


Othello. The handkerchief! 

奧瑟羅 手帕! 


Desdemona. In sooth, you are to blame. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 憑良心說,您也太不該。 


Othello. Away! 

[Exit]

奧瑟羅 去!(下。) 


Emilia. Is not this man jealous? 

愛米利婭 這個人在嫉妒嗎? 


Desdemona. I ne'er saw this before. Sure, there's some wonder in this handkerchief: I am most unhappy in the loss of it. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我從來沒有見過他這樣子。這手帕一定有些不可思議的魔力;我真倒楣把它丟了。 


Emilia. 'Tis not a year or two shows us a man: They are all but stomachs, and we all but food; To eat us hungerly, and when they are full, They belch us. Look you, Cassio and my husband! 
[Enter CASSIO and IAGO]

愛米利婭 好的男人一兩年裡頭也難得碰見一個。男人是一張胃,我們是一塊肉;他們貪饞地把我們吞下去,吃飽了,就把我們嘔出來。您瞧!凱西奧跟我的丈夫來啦。 
     伊阿古及凱西奧上。 


Iago. There is no other way; 'tis she must do't: And, lo, the happiness! go, and importune her. 

伊阿古 沒有別的法子,只好央求她出力。瞧!好運氣!去求求她吧。 


Desdemona. How now, good Cassio! what's the news with you? 

苔絲狄蒙娜 啊,好凱西奧!您有什麼見教? 


Cassio. Madam, my former suit: I do beseech you That by your virtuous means I may again Exist, and be a member of his love Whom I with all the office of my heart Entirely honour: I would not be delay'd. If my offence be of such mortal kind That nor my service past, nor present sorrows, Nor purposed merit in futurity, Can ransom me into his love again, But to know so must be my benefit; So shall I clothe me in a forced content, And shut myself up in some other course, To fortune's alms. 

凱西奧 夫人,我還是要向您重提我的原來的請求,希望您發揮鼎力,讓我重新作人,能夠在我所尊敬的主帥麾下再邀恩眷。我不能這樣延宕下去了。假如我果然罪大惡極,無論過去的微勞、現在的悔恨或是將來立功自贖的決心,都不能博取他的矜憐寬諒,那麼我也希望得到一個明白的答覆,我就死心塌地向別處去乞討命運的佈施了。 


Desdemona. Alas, thrice-gentle Cassio! My advocation is not now in tune; My lord is not my lord; nor should I know him, Were he in favour as in humour alter'd. So help me every spirit sanctified, As I have spoken for you all my best And stood within the blank of his displeasure For my free speech! you must awhile be patient: What I can do I will; and more I will Than for myself I dare: let that suffice you. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 唉,善良的凱西奧!我的話已經變成刺耳的煩瀆了;我的丈夫已經不是我的丈夫,要是他的面貌也像他的脾氣一樣變了樣,我簡直要不認識他了。願神靈保佑我!我已經盡力替您說話;為了我的言辭的戇拙,我已經遭到他的憎惡。您必須暫時忍耐;只要是我力量所及的事,我都願意為您一試;請您相信我,倘然那是我自己的事情,我也不會這樣熱心的。這樣,您心裡也該滿意了吧。 


Iago. Is my lord angry?  

伊阿古 主帥發怒了嗎? 


Emilia. He went hence but now, And certainly in strange unquietness. 

愛米利婭 他剛才從這兒走開,他的神氣暴躁異常。


Iago. Can he be angry? I have seen the cannon, When it hath blown his ranks into the air, And, like the devil, from his very arm Puff'd his own brother:—and can he be angry? Something of moment then: I will go meet him: There's matter in't indeed, if he be angry. 

伊阿古 他會發怒嗎?我曾經看見大炮衝散他的隊伍,像魔鬼一樣把他的兄弟從他身邊轟掉,他仍舊不動聲色。他也會發怒嗎?那麼一定出了什麼重大的事情了。我要去看看他。他要是發怒,一定有些緣故。 


Desdemona. I prithee, do so.
[Exit IAGO]
Something, sure, of state, Either from Venice, or some unhatch'd practise Made demonstrable here in Cyprus to him, Hath puddled his clear spirit: and in such cases Men's natures wrangle with inferior things, Though great ones are their object. 'Tis even so; For let our finger ache, and it indues Our other healthful members even to that sense Of pain: nay, we must think men are not gods, Nor of them look for such observances
As fit the bridal. Beshrew me much, Emilia, I was, unhandsome warrior as I am, Arraigning his unkindness with my soul; But now I find I had suborn'd the witness, And he's indicted falsely. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 請你就去吧。(伊阿古下)一定是威尼斯有什麼國家大事,或是他在這兒塞浦路斯發現了什麼秘密的陰謀,擾亂了他的清明的神志;人們在這種情形之下,往往會為了一些些小事而生氣,雖然實際激怒他們的卻是其他更大的原因。正是這樣,我們一個指頭疼痛的時候,全身都會覺得難受。我們不能把男人當作完善的天神,也不能希望他們永遠像新婚之夜那樣慇勤體貼。愛米利婭,我真該死,我可真是個不體面的「戰士」,會在心裡抱怨他的無情;現在我才覺悟我是收買了假見證,讓他受了冤枉。 


Emilia. Pray heaven it be state-matters, as you think, And no conception nor no jealous toy Concerning you. 

愛米利婭 謝天謝地,但願果然像您所想的,是為了些國家的事情,不是因為對您起了疑心。 


Desdemona. Alas the day! I never gave him cause. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 唉!我從來沒有給過他一些可以使他懷疑的理由。 


Emilia. But jealous souls will not be answer'd so; They are not ever jealous for the cause, But jealous for they are jealous: 'tis a monster
Begot upon itself, born on itself. 

愛米利婭 可是多疑的人是不會因此而滿足的!他們往往不是因為有了什麼理由而嫉妒,只是為了嫉妒而嫉妒,那是一個憑空而來、自生自長的怪物。 


Desdemona. Heaven keep that monster from Othello's mind! 

苔絲狄蒙娜 願上天保佑奧瑟羅,不要讓這怪物鑽進他的心裡! 


Emilia. Lady, amen. 

愛米利婭 阿門,夫人。 


Desdemona. I will go seek him. Cassio, walk hereabout: If I do find him fit, I'll move your suit And seek to effect it to my uttermost. 

苔絲狄蒙娜 我去找他去。凱西奧,您在這兒走走;要是我看見自己可以跟他說幾句話,我會向他提起您的請求,盡力給您轉圜就是了。 


Cassio. I humbly thank your ladyship. 
[Exeunt DESDEMONA and EMILIA]
[Enter BIANCA]

凱西奧 多謝夫人。(苔絲狄蒙娜、愛米利婭下。) 
     比恩卡上。 


Bianca. Save you, friend Cassio! 

比恩卡 你好,凱西奧朋友! 


Cassio. What make you from home? How is it with you, my most fair Bianca? I' faith, sweet love, I was coming to your house. 

凱西奧 你怎麼不在家裡?你好,我的最嬌美的比恩卡?不騙你,親愛的,我正要到你家裡來呢。 


Bianca. And I was going to your lodging, Cassio. What, keep a week away? seven days and nights? Eight score eight hours? and lovers' absent hours, More tedious than the dial eight score times? O weary reckoning! 

比恩卡 我也是要到你的尊寓去的,凱西奧。什麼!一個星期不來看我?七天七夜?一百六十八個小時?在相思裡挨過的時辰,比時鐘是要慢上一百六十倍的;啊,這一筆算不清的糊塗賬! 


Cassio. Pardon me, Bianca: I have this while with leaden thoughts been press'd: But I shall, in a more continuate time, Strike off this score of absence. Sweet Bianca, 
[Giving her DESDEMONA's handkerchief]
Take me this work out. 

凱西奧 對不起,比恩卡,這幾天來我實在心事太重,改日加倍補報你就是了。親愛的比恩卡,(以苔絲狄蒙娜手帕授比恩卡)替我把這手帕上的花樣描下來。


Bianca. O Cassio, whence came this? This is some token from a newer friend: To the felt absence now I feel a cause: Is't come to this? Well, well. 

比恩卡 啊,凱西奧!這是什麼地方來的?這一定是哪個新相好送給你的禮物;我現在明白你不來看我的緣故了。有這等事嗎?好,好。


Cassio. Go to, woman! Throw your vile guesses in the devil's teeth, From whence you have them. You are jealous now That this is from some mistress, some remembrance: No, in good troth, Bianca. 

凱西奧 得啦,女人!把你這種瞎疑心丟還給魔鬼吧。你在吃醋了,你以為這是什麼情人送給我的紀念品;不,憑著我的良心發誓,比恩卡。 


Bianca. Why, whose is it? 

比恩卡 那麼這是誰的? 


Cassio. I know not, sweet: I found it in my chamber. I like the work well: ere it be demanded— As like enough it will—I'ld have it copied: Take it, and do't; and leave me for this time. 

凱西奧 我不知道,親愛的;我在寢室裡找到它。那花樣我很喜歡,我想乘失主沒有來問我討還以前,把它描了下來。請你拿去給我描一描。現在請你暫時離開我。 


Bianca. Leave you! wherefore? 

比恩卡 離開你!為什麼? 


Cassio. I do attend here on the general; And think it no addition, nor my wish, To have him see me woman'd. 

凱西奧 我在這兒等候主帥到來;讓他看見我有女人陪著,恐怕不大方便,我不願意這樣。 


Bianca. Why, I pray you? 

比恩卡 為什麼?我倒要請問。 


Cassio. Not that I love you not. 

凱西奧 不是因為我不愛你。 


Bianca. But that you do not love me. I pray you, bring me on the way a little, And say if I shall see you soon at night. 

比恩卡 只是因為你並不愛我。請你陪我稍為走一段路,告訴我今天晚上你來不來看我。 


Cassio. 'Tis but a little way that I can bring you; For I attend here: but I'll see you soon. 

凱西奧 我只能陪你稍走幾步,因為我在這兒等人;可是我就會來看你的。 


Bianca. 'Tis very good; I must be circumstanced. 
[Exeunt] 

比恩卡 那很好;我也不能勉強你。(各下。)


[ 第三幕第三場 ] [ 第四幕第一場 ]